7.28.2007

Summertime in the City

I didn't really think that I would be spending a week in Salt Lake City (well I knew, but you know), and I didn't expect to spend the first day all alone. Sounds sad when I put it that way. I arrived in Salt Lake City in the morning, only to find out that the other person is a no show. Her flight got canceled because of a mechanical issue and the part for the plane had to be shipped from Canada. Go figure.

I eventually got my bearings, and set out. While SLC isn't quite NYC, it still has a downtown. The handy dandy tourist magazine had a section you could pull out and outlined all the major areas of downtown. Temple Square, the Gateway, Main Street, Broadway West, Broadway East, 100 South, and City Creek. I was a little surprised to read about the 35 places to "party". I suppose it's because SLC has this bias set against it considering that the main Mormon Temple sits around the corner from my hotel.

I made my way over to the Gateway - the outdoor shopping mall - to find food and maybe do a little shopping. I took the light rail which conveniently runs for free within the confines of downtown. I like free! I ate a nice salad at Rumbi Island Grill - a place I've never heard of - and enjoyed a piece of mango cheesecake. Good thing I did a lot of walking too!

Then, I figured that since I am here, I would go and visit Temple Square. It is Salt Lake City's #1 Tourist attraction after all. I took the free 30 minute tour led by two sisters of the Latter Day Saints. In all fairness I did find the tour interesting, though I don't quite understand the religion. I can't quite wrap my head around it. I saw the Assembly Hall, the Tabernacle, and the Conference Center. I watched a movie about Joseph Smith in his namesake memorial building since I had nothing better to do. If I muster the energy tomorrow, I might go see the Tabernacle choir sing in the morning. We'll see about that one.

The conference starts tomorrow. Salt Lake City + statisticians = fun! ;-)

0 notes:

  © Blogger templates 'Sunshine' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP