6.28.2007

Co-Worker/Cubicle 101

This is where I work. Well, not really, but I am a cubicle monkey. I've accepted the fact that I'm stuck in a cube with no hopes of an office in sight. I've made my cube a home, and it's not so bad.

Anyway, over the last couple of weeks there's been a slew of new hires. And thus, a slew of training the newbies into settling into the cubicle sort of lifestyle. I have to admit, there are a lot of systems to learn and nuances on the job that never really come up unless you point them out. Then again, I suppose you become accustomed to the ins and outs of everyday work life.

Something that I've learned since joining the cubicle brigade about a year ago, is that there is a certain pecking order that is unspoken, but everyone tends to respect. Until someone new comes into the mix. Someone "oversteps" the boundary too soon. It's not that I'm a firm believer in hierarchies within the workplace, but I do think that one should respect the veterans who've been through it all. Let me explain.

One the new additions to the workplace falls into a distinct category -- annoyingly eager with an overly sweet superiority complex. She has this certain quality that just grates on your nerves. I've tried over the last few weeks to keep an open mind. Considering that I don't work directly with this person, the interaction is minimal and brief at best. However, this person has also proven herself to be especially bothersome. She seems to believe that her role is to be our boss. Granted, she is the assistant to our managers' manager, but that doesn't make her our manager for goodness sake! Given this state of mind she also thinks that we will adjust our schedules at the drop of a hat. Excuse me, but only my direct manager can ask me to do that. On top of that, I'm not going to look for a replacement for me to train anyone, that's her job! I don't know, but it just feels like she's now trying to run the place, and she's only been an employee for 3 weeks. Talk to me when you've been here at least 3 months. Even then, my colleagues and I with a much longer tenure will still have knowledge authority over her.

On the other hand, the jury is still out on the other two new hires. One has been pretty easy to work with and catches on quickly -- I really like that quality since I abide by it. The other one is soft-spoken and quiet, and seems a little stressed. Then again, it's only their first week. I have no negative opinions on them. They've been really easy to train so far.

We shall see where all of this goes...

0 notes:

  © Blogger templates 'Sunshine' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP