6.29.2007

A space to live in

I always like to think about what my future living space is going to look like. I really enjoy watching shows on HGTV and TLC about decorating spaces. I especially enjoy Design on a Dime, Decorating Cents, Color Splash, as well as those decluttering shows like Mission Organization and Clean Sweep. I suppose there is an interior designer trapped inside of me somewhere. Could be something worse.

I have big dreams, thoughts, ideas, and if I had an unlimited budget the world would really be my oyster. I've always wondered where that came from. I could Google it. But then, of course, I get a reality check and just keep building my savings in the meantime. That doesn't mean the stream of ideas has to stop. I'm fascinated just walking into IKEA. Some might call that sad, but I call it fun.

We've redecorated our house one room at a time for the last 5-6 years. One year we did the kitchen, when I still had free summers, and refinished the cabinet doors and painted the walls and hallway. Another year we painted the bathroom a whimsical undersea mural. Two summers ago, I scraped the ceiling of the dining room, retextured, and painted the walls. Amazing what a coat of paint will do to spruce up a room.

Last summer, I acted on a whim, went to Lowe's, bought some deep sea aqua paint, and painted about 2/3 of my bedroom. Unfortunately, in order to paint the rest of it, I would have to move some furniture, so my room continues to be 2/3 painted. At this point, who knows if it will ever get done. Earlier this year, having been inspired by the closet organization system my parents bought for the pantry, I designed and bought a wall of shelves for my room, courtesy of The Container Store. Thank you annual Elfa sale.

Now I'm looking towards my future abode whether it be an apartment, condo, or house, here or there, wherever, ideas springing from my head. I'm definitely not a white/eggshell wall type girl. I need color. I'm not scared of color. Those who are scared of a little paint need to face their fears. There are definitely worse things than a can of paint. Once I get into a place of my own, or by the time my boyfriend does, the cans of paint will start rolling. His place will get a nice spruce, whenever that is.

I especially like this room that was redone on Design on a Dime. The shelving area surrounding the headboard is a nice use of space that normally would be neglected. The walls are a nice shade of light yellow, with a nice accented geometrically pleasing bedspread.

Can't wait for a space of my own!

0 notes:

  © Blogger templates 'Sunshine' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP