6.11.2007

It MUST be June.

This entire weekend, I felt like I was being bum-rushed with wedding stuff on TV. It started off on Saturday morning. I was cleaning up some clutter in my room and I turned on the TV. It so happened that the last channel that I was on was WE. The show was Platinum Weddings where couples who spend ridiculous amounts of money and contribute to the $25 billion-dollar industry. There was a bride who insisted on having celebrity everything, and made sure that whoever she hired had a list of clientele to back up their reputation. There was another couple who was having their wedding in Malibu, dropping $30K on the tent alone that would house the event. I don't think that included the site fee. The bride was fitted in a custom gown that the bridal consultant priced between $18-20K. You could get an education on that kind of money. And I believe their grand total must have been well over $200K; you can buy property on that money! Maybe not in California, but you could easily buy 4 cars on that amount. It just seems like such a waste of money to spend that much on one day. Then what do you have to say for yourself if you break up?

On top of the Platinum Weddings morning, nearly every decorating show that I watched on HGTV had a wedding special. I watched two shows where they threw a small wedding in the homes of the bride and groom for $5,000. A rarity in today's wedding market. I also watched an episode where they mimicked a wedding that would have cost $100,000+ with all the bells and whistles, for $8,600. Much better. Finally, I DVR-ed What Not to Wear's Stacy & Clinton's Wedding Spectacular, where they chose 3 bride-to-be's and gave them each a consultation and $5,000 for spending on their dream wedding dress. From perusing the wedding world here and there, it's easy to spend $5,000 even with a simple dress. These shows were more along my speed. I'd rather spend something under $10K for a simple, elegant ceremony and fun party celebration. I think labeling something with the word "wedding" in front of it, automatically makes it more expensive. Figures as much.

Then, of course, I switched to the notorious Bridezillas on WE. There was a marathon. I can only stand to watch that show for about 20 minute increments, but it's still entertaining. Some of those future wives are real pieces of work. I wonder what they think of themselves once the wedding is good and done with, and they can replay themselves on their "best" behavior, and so can all of America. They probably don't notice anything if they act like that on a regular basis. ¡Que horror!

It must be June, the most sought after month to tie the knot. Note to self, no June nuptials.

0 notes:

  © Blogger templates 'Sunshine' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP