6.07.2007

Mmmm. Cake.

I was watching Throwdown with Bobby Flay, where his challenge was wedding cakes. He was up against an up and coming Wedding Cake artist from New York City, who also graduated from the same culinary school. Bobby was getting nervous as he's not exactly a pastry chef.

I was observing Bobby struggling with making a wedding cake, especially since he'd never built one. But I felt like I came to a conclusion about my some-day wedding cake -- I want buttercream icing. Forget fondant. While it may be pretty and totally moldable, no one really eats it. I want a cake that when people see it, they want to dive into it. Head first. Mmmmm good. I'm not that into fancy and elaborate, but I am really big on cake. Simple, basic, but rich in taste.

I'm also not the type to spend an exorbitant amount of money on a cake - wedding, birthday, etc. I feel like I'd have a hard time eating something that costs upwards of $3,000 or similar. Then again, it's not like the cake will last forever. Thus, I'd rather go simple on the cake - there are still so many things you can do with the cake that it will still look elegant, but not cost too much. Plus, I'd much rather enjoy a less expensive, quality cake, than a fancy, elaborate, "I'm scared to touch it" kind of pastry creation.

I really like the style and simplicity of these two cakes in the photos, courtesy of the Knot. Funnily enough, they are both from weddings in San Diego, where I went to school Of course, I am no where near planning my wedding, need an engagement for that to happen. I haven't even attended too many weddings. I do have a good handful of coworkers who are getting hitched or have already tied the knot. I don't feel pressure to do so myself, although, I have started to think about what I would want my wedding to be like. According to a report on CNN, today's average wedding costs $27,000! This is around my salary after taxes and other deductions. I definitely do not see myself spending that kind of money on my wedding. Granted, I may receive some assistance from my parents and his parents, but nothing of that magnitude. After talking to one of my coworkers whose nuptials are in about 3 weeks, she told me that she is spending about $25,000. However, her in-laws are footing most of the bill. But she's not even having a cake! I consider that blashphemy! Just kidding. She doesn't care much for cake. I, on the other hand, will definitely have cake!

0 notes:

  © Blogger templates 'Sunshine' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP