3.29.2008

Stop living through hints

If there's something that I have learned from living and interacting with my family, it's to not live through hints. I know I'm guilty of it. I know everyone is guilty of it sometimes. But seriously, it's so much easier to just say it and get it over with!

For those who are lost, the loose definition of "living through hints": those who do not directly ask for or request something, but rather ask around the situation with leading questions, without really asking for the task needing completion. For example, a typical conversation starts like this:
"Are you busy today?"
"I don't know yet, why?"
"Oh don't worry, I was just hoping that if someone had time one of these days, if I might be able to go to the store"
"I can take you today"
"Oh no, you don't have to go out of your way, just when you have the time."

Um, there's a simpler way of getting that accomplished:
"Can you take me to the store when you are free?"
"Sure, how about this afternoon?"

Done and done.

The best part of messing with people who only live through hints or suggestions, is ignoring them completely. Never finding the time. Never acknowledging the hint. It's mean, yet wonderfully fantastic, if you are someone like me. Just repeat to yourself "I don't live through hints". If you want something, say it. If you expect something, let it be known. We aren't psychics, nor are we paid to wear the crazy outfits or stare at a crystal ball.

The worst part is when someone expects an outcome, doesn't receive it, then complains. All I have to say is, "you never said you wanted that!" Again, I'm not a psychic. I'm not a mindreader. I'd probably be the next Miss Cleo if I could (not really). If you want a party, for example, ask for a cake, don't expect that one will appear. And when one doesn't materialize, don't talk about how your family doesn't love you. You never asked.

Life Lesson #452: Ask for what you want.

0 notes:

  © Blogger templates 'Sunshine' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP