3.13.2008

Wedding during a Recession?

I came upon an article that brought up salient topics at an important time. How does one have a wedding during a recession? Clearly with everything going up, fuel prices, especially, the housing crisis, the crappy value of the dollar, among a plethora of other issues, the economy is not just fine. (Hear that Dubbya?!) I surely don't want to go into debt. If it comes down to that, I may as well go to Vegas. (I don't want that.)

The main points in the article found on DIY Bride are these:

  1. Get your finances in order - Taking care of the usual things that financial gurus tell you. Get rid of high-interest debt, start an emergency fund, cut unnecessary spending, figure out a plan, and dialog with your fiance about money!
  2. Be wedding smart - Prioritize what's important, don't spend your entire budget just because, don't go into debt from your wedding, choose venues and vendors wisely, don't count on outside sources for funding (duh!), get everything in writing, scale back, and DIY - Do It Yourself.
I'm definitely going to try and keep these things in mind. I'm working on getting rid of credit card debt (almost there!), I have an emergency stash, spending is going to take a vacation, and I have been talking to my fiance about money. We don't want to start our lives together in the negative, especially when we want to buy a house. A wedding (aka a big party) isn't worth all that strife in my opinion. It is what it is, a big party. I do want a party, but within reason. A house and a secure life is much more appealing.

I foresee a bunch of DIY projects to come!

0 notes:

  © Blogger templates 'Sunshine' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP