1.27.2008

The Happy Hooker...

No, not me. It's my book by the Stitch 'n Bitch series. Only instead of knitting it's crocheting.

I'm not coordinated enough to knit. Actually, I think using the knitting needles gives me tinges of carpal tunnel. Anyway, I know some people who create fantastic things on their needles - Bethro and Jess. I found my calling in crochet. I find it much easier to wield a single hook than trying to manipulate two sticks. Plus, I have a tendency to pull things too tight, and thus enabling the carpal tunnel syndrome to creep up.

I've been practicing different stitches in crochet, and I'm finally getting the hang of it. Over the Christmas season, I cranked out 4 blankets -- two with the same pattern, but different colors, one with thick yarn, and another using 3 different shades of chenille yarn. The first three are keeping me warm until the Spring hits and I'm no longer freezing. The fourth blanket I sent to Italy to keep my best bud Maggie warm. That one took a lot of work and a lot of yarn. I will post the picture up once I find it.

My sister was the one who inspired me to try crochet. I think it was two winters ago when she started on a crochet project. Being bored and unemployed at the time, I thought, "Why not?" So I bought my own crochet hooks and some yarn. She had to teach me how to do the stitches at first, but after probably five or six tries, I finally got the hang of it. I produced a bunch of scarves that winter. I'm still trying to reproduce the pattern without buying the accompanying yarn! No luck yet.

I also find it very therapeutic after a long day of dealing with paperwork, people, and patience. It keeps my dexterity in check and also, in a way, prevents me from stuffing my face with junk since my hands are busy. My sister gave me The Happy Hooker by Stitch 'n Bitch Crochet for Christmas. There are some projects that look fun and challenging. Plus, who doesn't want to be an honest Happy Hooker?

0 notes:

  © Blogger templates 'Sunshine' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP