1.20.2008

Job Satisfaction

Does it exist?

I wonder to myself everyday if there is someone out there who can truly say that they are satisfied with their job. I guess I should qualify the term "satisfaction" with "happiness". Are you happy with your job? Does the pay suit your needs (not wants)? Do you enjoy who you work with? At the end of the day do you feel like you've made a difference? Perhaps those who are self-employed, who called themselves "boss", might qualify. But I really want to know, is there such a thing as job satisfaction?

"They" say that people of my generation are classified as "Generation Y". From Wikipedia: According to the book, Thriving & Surviving with Generation Y at work: , Peter Sheahan , internationally recognised expert on Generation Y, says it is essential that we look at more than traditional forms of monetary compensation to motivate the new talent force."They’re after a sense of purpose, work-life balance, fun, variety, respect, and the opportunity to do ‘real’ work that makes a difference. Arguably everyone wants these things from a job but the difference with Generation Y is they’ll talk with their feet when their needs are not fulfilled." I can see this. I may think like this at times. We're also considered to have the mentality of "looking for the next best thing" if our current job isn't up to par.

I think that I am in one of those lulls between being happy with my current position and wanting something more. More responsibility (maybe), more money (definitely), more respect (of course!) Unfortunately, at this company, room for advancement is on hold at the moment. I enjoy my colleagues and my boss is fantastic, but those things can only keep me for so long. Something is just telling me that "it's time."

So the question is do I take the easy route or the more difficult journey? Stay in the comforts of my cube (although I want an office) or set out to find the next best thing?

0 notes:

  © Blogger templates 'Sunshine' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP