1.19.2008

My Relationship with Food.

I love food. I'm pretty sure that it loves me back, especially when it tries to get all up close and personal with me on my hips, thighs, and belly.

This year, I'm evaluating my relationship with food. I'm trying to become a conscious eater and think about what I'm putting into my body. My goal is to make progress this year with my efforts concentrated on improving my eating habits and continuing my exercise regime.

Growing up, we used to eat fast food after school. Since my mom had to work a lot, we'd have to stay in extended care, or as I like to call it, the Land of Watered Down Punch and Raisins. I came to despise little boxes of raisins after those years. So fast food was always a treat. I didn't know anything about all the calories that were packed in McDonald's Happy Meals or a #5. It all just tasted good. I didn't know that I was basically drinking pure sugar and then letting it develop into junk in my trunk by sitting watching TV. Looking back, I wish I had said no. I remember now why we used to give up fast food for Lent. It was probably the best sacrifice we could have made.

All through college I ate whatever I wanted. At one point I tried the Atkins diet, and I did lose 8lbs. However, as soon as I had my first delicious carbohydrate, 10lbs found their way back to my midsection. I studied abroad in France and ate everything I desired. But since I had to walk everywhere, sometimes miles a day, when I got back to the US, I had lost almost 20lbs! Without even noticing. Unfortunately, re-entry into Fatsoville, I mean the good old USA, brought on the return of those lost pounds.

Finally, now that I'm out of college and feel much more in control of my life, I've developed an exercise routine. Exercise has not been my stumbling block. It's all the food and appropriate serving sizes. I've belonged to the Clean Plate Club my whole life. It's only in the last few weeks that I've been testing my stomach and metabolism. I've learned that I can get by without all the sugar and fats. Eating one cookie slowly provides (almost) the same amount of satisfaction as cramming 5 cookies down my throat.

I love food and will continue to love it. I know I could never become anorexic. As much as I don't like being fat, my love for food outweighs starving myself. Like they say about everything, moderation is key. It's going to happen in 2008. Lots of great things.

0 notes:

  © Blogger templates 'Sunshine' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP