1.21.2008

It's called your Wedding DAY for a reason.

A wedding lasts a day.














But these television shows want to make it last a lifetime. I understand the concept of having your "perfect" wedding day, because that's what it is or should be -- a wedding day. With the rapid influx of wedding-related programming, bride-to-be's get stars in their eyes and false ideas of what their wedding should be.

Just because Britney Spears had a white-trash wedding, does that mean you want one too? Look at what happened to her. HOT MESS. Eva Longoria Parker got married at a castle in France, but I don't think my non-celebrity status will get me through the gates and bodyguards anytime soon. And I just saw an episode of Platinum Weddings where the bride's parents spent an obscene amount of money, and all I could think was "I wonder how long that's going to last..."

I don't oppose marriage, nor do I have a cynical outlook about the general institution of marriage. I believe that two people can come together, love each other, be each other's best friend, and live with each other until "death do they part". However, when there is a grand hullabaloo and hundreds of thousands of millions of dollars are being spent on one day, it makes me ill. To think about what all that money could have been spent on, and some spoiled couple get a day or a weekend of ostentatiousness. It's rather ridiculous. And it makes me wonder, "Are they trying to prove their love with how much they can spend?"

I've heard on these shows where the mother of the bride declares that she's been waiting for the day when she could plan her daughter's wedding. I think that if you can drop $300 grand on a day, you might as well buy them a house too. Then again, it is parents and couples with this kind of mentality that has grown the wedding industry into a multi-BILLION dollar industry. I would capitalize on that if I could.

Now when it comes to my own, sometime down the line, I don't want anything super flashy. As long as everyone has fun, I would be happy. I'm one of those people who'd rather save for a house and a life together, then blowing a wad on a day. A marriage is supposed to last a lifetime, and if you splurge on everything for your wedding day, who's to say that's going to last?

**banners from WeTV**

0 notes:

  © Blogger templates 'Sunshine' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP