1.30.2008

Not a fan of the fake.

Fake tan, fake boobs, fake smile.

Come on, let's be real.

There are so many products out there enabling one to be fake. I understand that sometimes, desperate times call for desperate measures, but seriously, is it worth it? $20,000 plastic surgery. Injecting poison into your face. Lotions that turn your skin orange. Veneers. What about working out? Taking care of your skin? Tanning safely? Braces? I know that these logical fixes don't work for everyone, but how do the former items measure up?

I was watching oh-so-fab Carson Kressley's new show How to Look Good Naked and it featured a woman who was 37 and already had 3 plastic surgeries. She was prepping for her fourth. And she was still dissatisfied with her body. I thought she looked pretty great for her age, but all she could focus on was the negative and what she hated about her body. Even with constant praise from her husband, she zoned in on what could or should be improved. Luckily, Carson was able to improve her sad outlook on life and convince her to remember her positive characteristics, so as not to instill negative body image into the brains of her daughters.

There's a commercial on TV for Restalyne. A woman in the commercial states that she uses it to "fake her age, because her boyfriend/husband thinks she's younger". I thought that to be a horrible sentiment. How are you supposed to build a relationship on lies? Maybe I'm just taking the moral high-ground. Or maybe our society has just become so focused on looks and aging that we convince 30-year-olds that they need botox. Or that it's acceptable to give a 17-year-old breast implants as a birthday present. Talk about tossing yourself out of the running for "Parent of the Year" award.

Needless to say, I'm not a fan of the fake. Fake parts of people or fake people in general. Like today, a woman that I don't directly work with asked me a question in the kitchen today. "So you're an unofficial project manager?" I looked at her quite puzzled, and said, "who me?" She smiled with her very artificial smile and continued her kooky comment. Let it be said that she's NEVER talked to me before. And the only time that I've slightly interacted with her was when I "caught" her cursing down the hallway dropping f-bombs. Yikes.

Why be fake nice? It would just save a bunch of time if we were real. Of course in terms of job security, it may not be a good idea.

0 notes:

  © Blogger templates 'Sunshine' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP